Hurricanes are bad, but can be measurably worse if you and your family aren’t prepared for the next one.
We are at the front end of the hurricane season in the Lowcountry. So far, we’ve only heard about some larger storms, but soon, they will become part of the regular newscasts and internet headlines.
We hope and pray it’s a quiet year for the greater Charleston, SC area and our inland neighbors. However, there is always a chance that you may need to prepare for a storm, even if it passes us by.
Here are a few tips that can help:
- Cut back dead or diseased limbs on trees, or the entire tree if necessary. Trees can become very dangerous and may cause more damage to your home than the storm itself.
- Put together a comprehensive “Hurricane Kit” (as described in the article link below).
- Make sure your gutters are clean and in good working order.
- Inspect your roof. Make sure it is in good shape, with all shingles being tight to the roof line.
- Make sure you have a place to store all outside furniture — and anything that can moved by heavy winds — which can cause damage.
- Purchase hurricane shutters or have a supply of plywood that can cover windows and doors.
- Have sand bags — or the makings for such — to keep rising waters from entering under doors.
Contact us for Home Repair
If you do suffer storm damage, contact us here or call our Charleston office at 843.388.4334. We are experts in home repair and are happy to give estimates and advice on fixing your home the right way.